Charles H. Driver and Joseph Bazalgette, 1900
Abbey Lane, E15 2RN
Abbey Mills pumping station 'A', built by engineer Joseph Bazalgette, Edmund Cooper and architect Charles Driver. Built between 1865 and 1868 it is described as the cathedral of sewage. Follow this link to book: https://bit.ly/abbeymills
25, 108, 276, 425, D8
Directions provided on booking.
The Abbey Mills Pumping Station (Pumping Station A) is central to the sewerage system created across London in the mid-19th century. Built to lift sewage from the low-lying sewers, it collects a huge amount of the capital’s wastewater, transferring it to our northern outfall sewer and on to Beckton Sewage Treatment Works.
Abbey Mills Pumping Station A was listed Grade II* in 1974, with this description:
Italian Gothic style. Greek Cross plan. Yellow brick with red and blue brick and stone dressings. Slate mansard roof. Two storeys plus dormers. Entrance wing and the ends of the other arms five bays wide with round headed central entrance porch. Round headed windows with polychrome decoration. Larger central window to upper storey divided by elaborate cast ironwork. Heavy stone string course to ground and first floors. Modillioned eaves cornice. Elaborate timber door with foliated ironwork. Slightly pointed yellow and red brick arches to recessed sash windows. Central octagonal domed lantern with round arched gabled windows to each face, containing case iron tracery. Elaborate wrought iron cresting to dome. Flamboyant interior or enriched cast ironwork. Central octagonal lantern. Original beam engines have been removed. Elaborate carving of stonework outside and inside.
Abbey Mills is an early example of the work of Charles Driver, who assisted Bazalgette and Cooper. Driver specialised in engineering-based work, particularly railways. His designs include stations on the south London line, and those at Box Hill and Tunbridge Wells West. He established a considerable practice and obtained overseas commissions, such as the Central Market in Santiago, Chile.
Tours will take place on 9th, 10th & 16th 17th September 2023.
Tours start on the hour between 10:00-16:45 (last tour 16:00) for ticket holders only.
Drop in / Guided tour
Sugar House Island is a brand-new 26 acre mixed use neighbourhood of homes, offices, creative spaces, retail, education and public outdoor space. The development combines modern architecture with retained heritage features. This incudes Talent House, a new state-of-the-art creative hub for next generation of music and dance professionals, and is supported by the Mayor of London.
Discover another side to Stratford beyond the regeneration narratives on this Art and Culture Trail featuring intriguing forgotten histories alongside contemporary stories reflected in the area's public art, local monuments and heritage buildings.
Tour of our facilities
Back to top of page