Westminster Abbey, Broad Sanctuary, SW1P 3JS
Celebrate the Open House Festival with this fun and interactive family event about Britain's forgotten history of the Black Tudors.
Charing Cross, Victoria, Waterloo
148, 453, 87, 88
There access to a toilet in St James's Park.
Help us solve the mystery of the forgotten history of the Black Tudors. Join us on our search for clues as we visit some of London’s Tudor buildings and take a peek into the lives of five Black Tudors.
We will visit Westminster Abbey, the remains of the Palace of Whitehall and St James's Palace with a short break in St James's Park. Please note that this event does not include admission to any of these buildings.
Ideally, for parents/guardians with children aged 7+, but all ages are welcome!
The event involves a fair amount of walking, but we do stop off outside buildings and have a break in St James Park. Therefore, it is advised that you bring some snacks/drinks with you and wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
We will provide children with activity packs and pens/pencils to complete. There are prizes for the Tudor sleuths too.
Victor Keegan, author of two acclaimed books on Lost London, asks how the streets around the Thorney Island Society Archives in Old Pye Street could have been so lawless and deprived, so close to Westminster Abbey and Parliament.
concert/performance space, religious
A rare example of Thomas Archer's work and a masterpiece of English Baroque, originally dubbed Queen Anne's Footstool. A Grade I listed building, restored by Marshall Sisson after extensive bombing damage, now a busy concert hall.
Thomas Archer, 1714
historical house, palace, concert/performance space
Stunning regal building, the only surviving building from Whitehall Palace, one of the first examples of the principles of Palladianism being applied to an English building. Site of a set of magnificent ceiling paintings by Rubens.
Inigo Jones, 1619
A Grade 2 listed former Territorial Army Drill Hall featuring restored elements of the original 1882 design. It has a triple height central hall with the restored wrought iron balconies and roofing. Notable Neo-Georgian design brickwork.
Duncan Cardow of T.P.Bennett (1985) and John McVicar Anderson (1882), 1985
Back to top of page