East Croydon Station, CR0 1LF
A walking tour with the Twentieth Century Society, exploring the modern architectural and design heritage of Croydon town centre. Croydon is London Borough of Culture 2023 and is home to some of the finest post-war buildings in Britain.
468, 410, 312, 197, 64, 466, 433, 367, 198, 194, 119
The walk will start from outside East Croydon Station
Our walk will include visits to the recently refurbished Fairfield Halls (1962), the Art Deco Segas House (1939), space-themed concrete towers Lunar and Apollo House (1970), plus the two Richard Seifert designed landmarks, Corinthian House (1965) and the NLA Tower (1970) - or the 50p tower as it's known to locals, on account of it's distinctive shape - and many more.
We propose to open the Museum of Croydon stores for an intimate guided tour of our stored collections also featuring an overview of collection care. This activity will take approximately 1hr and can cater for a maximum of 8 people.
Charles Henman, 1896
Assembled in the format and spirit of a Saturday School, this session, supported by Theatrum Mundi, will take place in the Croydon Quaker's Adult School Hall and support participants to map out spaces of care & resistance across Croydon.
William Curtis Green, 1908
Historic walking tour of East Croydon led by a native. Those who come along are welcome to contribute their memories. Marvel at one of the oldest electricity sub-stations in Croydon. Tour ends at the iconic One Croydon, the "Thru'penny Bit" office block designed by Seifert in the 1960s. Join us for a drink afterwards in a Victorian hostelry.
21 houses, in 3 terraces, built by Swiss architects Atelier 5 for Wates. Living areas on the upper floor are approached through a garden court. Bedrooms downstairs open to a lower garden. Pevsner wrote, 'a group with few equals in Britain'.
Atelier 5, 1969
religious, concert/performance space, civic
Medieval style church rebuilt by Sir George Gilbert Scott after 1867 fire. Tower & south porch are 15C. Large nave with open timber-work roof leads to chancel dominated by superb stained glass window & rich alabaster reredos.
Mediaeval/Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1870
Back to top of page