Lind Road, Sutton, Greater London, SM1 4PJ
An exhibition exploring the rapid technological changes in transport in the Sutton New Town Area (1870-1911). The Welsh Chapel is part of the Presbyterian Church of Wales - originally built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1879.
154, S3, 407
Nearby bus stops on Lind Road, Carshalton Road and Lower Road.
There is no step free access.
Information in the 1879 Primitive Methodist magazine details that the the laying of the foundation stones for a “neat little chapel and school” at Sutton in the London Sixth station was expected to cost £1,200. The foundation stone still found on the building details that it was laid by Mrs Bray of Wimbledon on 30 July 1879.
The exhibition 'Where are you going?' is produced by Sutton New Town Community Festival and The Welsh Chapel.
Sutton New Town Community Festival arranges and promotes community festivals and events for the benefit of the inhabitants of Sutton New Town and the surrounding area.
Their purpose is to promote social inclusion and community cohesion through staging shared events and activities for the people of the Sutton New Town area irrespective of their youth, age, infirmity or disablement, financial hardship or social and economic circumstances, ethnic origin, religion, belief, creed, sexual orientation or gender.
art in the public realm
Public art trail: Portraits of the South by Abi Partington-Moran This innovative artist-created trail in Sutton Town Centre is the first of four Sutton STEAMS Ahead photographic commissions to be unveiled this Autumn/Winter.
E H Rabbits (1818-74) was a major contributor to the development of suburban Sutton.This linear walk will look at a number of the buildings he is associated with an other sites on the way to illustrate the Victorian development of Sutton.
The church is designed in the Gothic style, with a semicircular barrel-vaulted ceiling, a highly carved chancel screen and magnificent stained glass windows, notably the large West window, depicting Christ the King enthroned in heaven.
W. J. T. Newman and W. Jacques , 1888
Back to top of page