T J Hill, 1870
73 Cedar Road, Enfield, EN2 0TH
The building is a Grade II non-conformist cemetery chapel, designed by T J Hill for the Enfield Burial Board in 1870-71 in the Decorated Gothic style.
Hard hats will be provided. Uneven floor, please wear suitable footwear.
Western (Non-Conformist) Chapel, Lavender Hill.
The building is a Grade II non-conformist cemetery chapel, designed by T J Hill for the Enfield Burial Board in 1870-71 in the Decorated Gothic style. It forms a pair with its Church of England counterpart opposite. The chapel sits within the historic cemetery, which is locally listed for its aesthetic and historic value as a Victorian designed landscape, established to deal with overcrowded churchyards and in response to the Public Parks movement with the aim to utilise green spaces to improve health and wellbeing.
The building is constructed from rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings, with a Welsh slate roof. Typical neo-Decorated Gothic features abound with pointed arched openings with decoratively-stopped hoodmoulds, traceried windows, leaf decorated eaves cornice and board doors with decorative iron hinges.
At present the chapel is on Historic England’s Heritage at Risk register due to its poor condition. The council is currently working with the London Historic Buildings Trust and The Enfield Society to undertake an options appraisal to bring the building back in to use and preserve and repair it for long term future use.
Back to top of page