Level 14, 122 Leadenhall Street, EC3V 4AB
The award-winning Leadenhall Building was designed by international architects RSHP in 2014. L14 became the practice's headquarters in 2015. The Studio is a completely open plan office, reflecting the democratic beliefs of the practice.
Monument, Liverpool Street, Bank, Aldgate
Liverpool Street, Fenchurch Street, Cannon Street
4, 8, 25, 100, 149
We are a fully accessible venue offering full disabled access from the ground floor to level 14.
- Only RSHP on Level 14 in The Leadenhall Building is open to the public
- Visitors will need to bring photo id to gain entry
- Please note that RSHP will reach out to ask for the names of any additional guests that have been registered
- The Leadenhall Building security team will conduct a bag search
- Slots are hourly, but visitors can join a tour any time within their allotted slot
- Architects will show small groups of visitors around the RSHP Studio on Level 14
- SculptureFest and Bartholomew Fair will also be happening in the public space at the bottom of The Leadenhall Building
- Food and drink is not permitted on the studio floor
This 51-storey tower opposite Lloyd’s of London rises to a height of 225 metres (738 feet), its slender form creating its own distinctive profile within an emerging cluster of tall buildings in this part of the City of London. The building’s tapering profile is prompted by a requirement to respect views of St Paul’s Cathedral, in particular from Fleet Street. The tower’s design ensures that from this key vantage point the cathedral’s dome is still framed by a clear expanse of sky.
The office floors are designed to meet the highest quality office space standards taking the form of rectangular floor plates which progressively diminish in depth towards the apex. Instead of a traditional central core providing structural stability, the building employs a full perimeter braced tube which defines the edge of the office floor plates and creates stability under wind loads. The circulation and servicing core is located in a detached north-facing tower, containing colour-coded passenger and goods lifts, service risers and on-floor plant and WCs.
The building’s envelope expresses the diversity of what it encloses, reinforcing the composition and providing legibility to the primary elements. Although the tower occupies the entire site, the scheme delivers an unprecedented allocation of public space – the lower levels are recessed on a raking diagonal to create a spectacular, sun-lit seven storey high space complete with shops, and soft landscaped public space.
After 30 years based at Thames Wharf in Hammersmith, West London, RSHP relocated to The Leadenhall Building in 2015.
The studio, on Level 14 of the 51-storey building, enables it to accommodate all its 180 staff on one floor, strengthening communication and collaborative working, and bringing a distinctive ethos and culture to a London landmark.
The fit-out of the studio reinterprets the practice’s design philosophy as flexible, legible space which is conducive to a collaborative approach to design.
The building’s completely open floorplate gives sight lines across the whole studio, and beyond to St Paul’s Cathedral, Canary Wharf and Lloyd’s of London.
Desks are arranged in three groups aligned to each of the facades, giving the best aspect for all staff. Generous circulation space and a large kitchen give opportunities for chance encounters and informal conversations and the central meeting area, open on two sides and visible to all, provides flexible space capable of hosting small meetings, lectures and events for up to 200 people.
The fit-out takes full advantage of the shell and core design of the building. By exposing the soffit and services, rather than putting in a suspended ceiling as other tenants in the building have done, the full height of the space is revealed.
Lighting design by Speirs Major is closely aligned to natural circadian rhythms, changing in tone through the day to mimic circadian patterns.
The Modelshop and server room are located within the main studio space, open to view as integral parts of the life of the practice.
There are no ‘corner offices’ at RSHP, reflecting the democratic philosophy of the practice. Instead, the corners are given over to quiet space, for meetings, reflection and relaxation.
Livery Hall first built in 1429, much altered then demolished and rebuilt in 1880, destroyed in 1941 except for external walls (W W Pocock). Designed as a showpiece for the craft of carpentry, the third Hall on the site.
William Wilmer Pocock, Clifford Wearden, Herbert Austen Hall, 1956
historical house, livery hall
Coopers' Hall is a late 17th century, timber-framed merchant's house with a Georgian frontage. A Livery Hall since 1957, it features a fine Courtoom, dining room and an impressive staircase spiralling up the entire height of the building.
Nicholas Barbon, 1690
Back to top of page