Church Road, West Drayton, UB7 7PT
A Grade II* listed church dating from 13th century with some interesting features Adjacent to a 16th century Gate House
222, U5, 350, U3, U1
St Martin’s West Drayton dates back to 13th century, although the main structure has been rebuilt in the 15th century.
Some interesting features are
- 13th century restored double piscina
- Stone font from the 15th century; the octagonal bowl has relief carving in the panels and rests on a nine stemmed foot with grotesque figures at the angles of the base
- 16th or 17th century iron bound chest, situated in the chancel
- External flintwork from 1852
- The tower is un-buttressed
Following renovation in 1970 the altar was placed in the west of the church.
The churchyard has commonwealth war graves and mature trees. The east wall of the churchyard dates back to Tudor times.
St Martin’s is adjacent to a Gatehouse (Grade II*) built in the 16th century, once the entrance to the manor house.
Back to top of page