Grafton Architects, 2021
The Marshall Building, 44 Lincoln's Inn Fields, WC2A 3PF
A large multi-purpose building occupying a pivotal position at the southern corner of Lincoln’s Inn Fields. The building provides state of the art, flexible teaching spaces on the lower levels and faculty accommodation on the upper levels.
Charing Cross, Temple, Holborn
Blackfriars, Waterloo, Charing Cross
One of LSE’s main objectives is to create a world class estate commensurate with its international academic standing. The Marshall Building designed by Grafton Architects is a seminal new addition to LSE’s campus. The large, multi-purpose building occupies a pivotal position at the southern corner of Lincoln’s Inn Fields. The site was originally occupied by Cancer Research UK. The original 1970 brick building was described by Historic England as ‘making a negative contribution to the character and appearance of the conservation areas, likely due to its substantial scale and architectural design, which lacks in visual interest to Lincoln's Inn Fields and presents fragmented series of closing elevations onto Portsmouth St and Portugal Street'.
LSE held an international design competition organised
by the Royal Institute of British Architects. Over 80 expressions of interest were received; six firms were short-listed and submitted proposals in January 2016. Public consultation was included as part of the competition evaluation process.
In April 2016 LSE selected Grafton Architects as the
architects and lead consultant of a multi-disciplinary
team for the new development.
Mace were appointed as the principal Design and Build
contractor for the project responsible for construction
The building has been assessed against BREEAM
(Building Research Establishment’s Environmental
Assessment Method) and has achieved an interim
design stage BREEAM certification of
It has also been assessed against Part L of the Building
Regulations for energy efficiency, achieving an Energy
Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of B.
The building has a range of features to help lower
energy consumption during its operations.
The building provides state of the art, flexible teaching spaces on the lower levels of the building and faculty accommodation on the upper levels for the departments of Management, Accounting, Finance, Financial Markets Group; Systemic Risk Centre as well as the Marshall Institute. The Great Hall on the ground floor delivers over 800m2 of flexible and convivial civic space, being traversed and used by hundreds of people each day. It also provides a perfect setting for large-scale events such as exhibitions, talks, dinners and open days, that will enable us to welcome prospective students, alumni, friends and partners to our campus. Levels 1 and 2 are dedicated teaching and learning floors.
The building has 6 Harvard style theatres seating 89-90 people; 1 x 60 seat conference space; 4 x 40seat; 2 x 20 seat teaching rooms.
library, garden, education, legal, institution/profession, mixed use
Lincoln’s Inn has been an association of barristers for over 600 years. An 11-acre site combining gardens with mediaeval, Victorian, Georgian, and modern buildings, including banqueting halls, a law library, a chapel, and teaching space.
institution/profession, library, museum
The current building, the third on the site, was built between 1927-1933 in the Art Deco style, as a memorial to the 3,225 Freemasons who died in World War I. It is a Grade II* listed building, both internally and externally.
Henry Victor Ashley and F. Winton Newman, 1927
The creation of new public realm along Strand, south of Aldwych, has been described as the one of the best things to happen to London in years. It is an exemplar of what's possible when road space is reclaimed for people and for nature.
LDA Design - Landscape Architect, 2022
Prince Henry’s Room is located at 17 Fleet Street, one of the few buildings in the city that survived the 1666 London Great Fire. The room, on the first floor contains one of the best-preserved Jacobian-enriched plaster ceilings in London.
Architect unknown, 1610
restaurant/bar, theatre, concert/performance space
Home to The Royal Opera, The Royal Ballet and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, the ROH was reconfigured in 2018 by Stanton Williams to offer world-class performance spaces and a welcoming and inclusive cultural and social hub.
Sir Edward M. Barry, 1858
Completed in 1895, Two Temple Place is a dazzling neo-Gothic gem on the Victoria Embankment, designed by gothic revivalist architect, John Loughborough Pearson, & commissioned by & built for William Waldorf Astor, as his estate office.
John Loughborough Pearson , 1895
Back to top of page