Open House Festival

Longfield Hall


50 Knatchbull Road, SE5 9QY

Getting there


Stockwell, Oval, Brixton


Loughborough Junction



Additional travel info

Our nearest bus stops are on Loughborough Road or Akerman Road for the P5 bus which runs from Elephant & Castle to Brixton. Our other nearest stops are on Brixton Road (all buses to and from Brixton) or Camberwell New Road (all buses between Vauxhall and Camberwell). These stops are a 10 minute walk from Longfield Hall.




Community Purpose

What makes Longfield Hall unusual architecturally is that it is an intact, late Victorian community hall. Longfield Hall has had many users since it opened – everything from Cinderella dances to “fruit socials”. In the 1970s it was home to Britain’s first publicly-funded Black Theatre company, Dark & Light Theatre Club.

Longfield Hall was built by William Minet and completed in 1889. It was designed by architect George Hubbard. William Minet also built the library opposite the hall, St James the Apostle Church on Knatchbull Road and much of the housing which surrounds Myatt’s Fields Park. Sadly the original library building was destroyed by a bomb during the Second World War, while Longfield Hall was undamaged.

Lambeth Council acquired the Minet Estate, including the hall, in 1968 after the death of Susan Minet.
The hall was Grade II listed by English Heritage in 1979.
A volunteer group "Friends of Longfield Hall" was established in the early 1990s to ensure the hall was maintained for community use and in January 2010 became a registered charity.This was renamed Longfield Hall Trust in 2014.

Longfield Hall continues to fulfil the purpose envisaged by William Minet with over 700 people using it each week. The airy spaces still provide the local community with a place for receptions, meetings, rehearsals, choirs, churches and classes. The hall is also used regularly for dance and theatre performances,
encouraging emerging artists and performance makers.

Online presence


Back to top of page