Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, 2022
60 Whitechpel High Street, E1 7PF
The re-adaptation and extension of the former Cass School of Art and Architecture provides over 150,000 square feet of office space.
The adaptation and extension of the former London Metropolitan School of Art, Architecture and Design, provides over 150,000 square feet of office space. Located opposite the Whitechapel Gallery, the scheme adds to the existing six storey building with an equal volume above. The new build element mimics the horizontal banding and the rhythm of the panels of the 1960s concrete building but contrasts this with a lightweight steel structure and dark metal palette.
Tension between old and new is highlighted by an inhabited gap, marked out by a playful piece of public art visible from the street to create a visual break. This space forms one of several external spaces, including a large planted terrace at roof level and shared multi-use amenity space for the building users.
Concrete defines the existing building and steel is the predominant material of the new build elements. The upper floors feature an exposed steel structure with large spans and generous floor-to-ceiling heights, contrasting with the as found quality of the floors below.
Centre of German religious and cultural life for more than 200 years. Impressive 20th century church building with contributions from various German artists. Exhibition of German émigré artist Hans Feibusch „Five Stories from the Old Testament“ (courtesy of Ben Uri Gallery). Demonstration of the organ by resident organist Paul Dichtl.
Donald Plaskett Marshall & Partners, 1960
Drop in / Guided tour
museum, community/cultural, art in the public realm, gallery
The Gilbert & George Centre was originally established as a registered charity by the artist in 2009 with the objective to advance the education of the public in the arts, and generally to advance the arts, architecture, heritage and culture for the benefit of the public.
SIRS Architects, 2022
Drop in / Talk
Built originally as a pub (the Queen’s Head) circa 1825, at the time of parliament’s ‘road improvement scheme’, CDA’s 2016/17 renovations and extension of the building included restoration of the exterior brickwork, tiling and windows.
The Brady Arts & Community Centre is on Hanbury St, just off Brick Lane in the busy & creative part of East London. It opened in 1935 as the Brady Jewish Girls & Boys Clubs. We are holding our open day on Saturday 16 September. Come and find out about the centre’s history and take part in drop in arts activities’.
MESSRS JOSEPH, 1935
Neuron Pod is a striking 23-metre long and 10-metre high free-standing structure – designed as an extension to Centre of the Cell, an informal science learning centre at Queen Mary University of London’s Whitechapel campus.
Alsop Architects and Amec, 2005
historical house, livery hall
Coopers' Hall is a late 17th century, timber-framed merchant's house with a Georgian frontage. A Livery Hall since 1957, it features a fine Courtoom, dining room and an impressive staircase spiralling up the entire height of the building.
Nicholas Barbon, 1690
How can architecture help us to understand a world in flux? We can use buildings as markers of change, seeing the impact of global economic shifts on local streets, the rise and fall of public housing, and the march of 'gentrification'.
Back to top of page