Joseph Peacock, 1887
Cromer Street, WC1H 8JU
Grade ll listed Oxford Movement Anglican church built 1887-88. Historic England describe the exterior as ‘quirky and aggressive’ but the interior is ‘very spare and elegant, the proportions subtly adjusted’. Elevated choir and sanctuary.
Euston, King's Cross St. Pancras, Russell Square
Euston, King's Cross
10, 17, 30, 45, 46, 59, 63, 73, 91, 205, 214, 259, 390, 476
The Church is a 5 minute walk south of King's Cross station
There is a ramp up to the church door so easy to get in. We will show how the church crypt has been revamped to make a meeting space for community groups. There is a short staircase down, so not suitable for wheelchair users.
Holy Cross Church was designed by Joseph Peacock (1821-1893) and consecrated in1888. Its building was made possible by the Goodenough family following the death of Commodore Goodenough on the island of Santa Cruz in the Solomon Islands in 1875. A small brass plaque is placed behind the font as a memorial and the church bell was taken from the Commodore’s ship ‘HMS Pearl’.
The Church has close links with Goodenough College, an international residential college for postgraduate students in nearby Mecklenburgh Square.
Although the Church had rich benefactors, it was built in a very poor area. The catholic revival in the Church of England can be seen as part of a prevailing national Christian mission to the poor, later championed by the Salvation Army as well. As the country became more industrialised, new parishes were established in densely-populated city areas. Holy Cross was a mission station before it became a parish. There is a strong tradition of community service at Holy Cross.
The congregation is truly international, especially now that tourists have returned to London and the church has stronger links with nearby Goodenough College. We also have strong links with London's South Sudan community, as well as with our local Bangladeshi and Somali neighbours.
The Church is unusual in having a large crypt which was extensively refurbished in 2019. Part of the crypt is now being used by a drama school but the Church retains use of a substantial area for community purposes - English classes for asylum seekers, for example.
The annual Bloomsbury Festival makes extensive use of the church for both performances and rehearsals. It has very good acoustics. We would like to see the church used more as a performance venue. One of the highlights of the 2022 Bloomsbury Festival was a reunion event forty years after local prostitutes held a sit-in at the church in protest against police harassment. A film of the event will be shown on September 17 at 2pm.
Respected critic Ian Nairn said (in Nairn's London, 1966): 'The outside is cheap and shrugged off; there are a hundred like it in London's suburbs. Inside it is as honest and selfless as King's Cross station...Nothing unnecessary and nothing put on for form's sake...'
The braced king post roof is one of the 'great glories' of the interior, according to Historic England's listing.
The nave is exceptionally broad for its length and the aisles very wide. The elevated choir and sanctuary is enclosed by a wood screen which may be the work of Sir Charles Nicholson (1867-1949). Nicholson worked at Holy Cross around 1913.
The moveable benches are late Victorian.
A small stained glass window on the south wall, ‘Christ the Good Shepherd’, was designed and made by Martin Travers (1886-1948), a distinguished church artist in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. Christ's lamp copies the lamp in Holman Hunt's ‘Light of the World’.
The Walsingham Chapel at the back of the church is a reminder of Father Alfred Hope Patten who was inspired to restore the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham while a curate at Holy Cross from 1913-15.
The Stations of the Cross are not unique – there are identical ones in the Chapel of the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth in St John's Wood and perhaps in other places too. We would like to know more about their production.
Finally and sadly, you will see cracks. There is settlement of the foundations at the north east corner of the Church causing structural cracking to the vestry and associated walls of the Church itself. But the Church is on Historic England's register of buildings at risk and is working with neighbouring churches to find funding sources for repairs. A start was made this year with repairs to roof guttering but there is much more still to do, to make the building the fully-functional community asset that we all want to see.
Our website will keep you in tough with events at Holy Cross. Search for Holy Cross Cromer Street.
public realm/landscape, walk/tour
A walk to highlight public realm improvements in Camden and the new traffic-free piazza in the Strand. The walk follows a https://footways.london/ route along attractive,low pollution streets, and end with a visit to St Mary le Strand
Many, including Scott, Hodgkinson, Soane, Hardwick, Lutyens, Inigo Jones (attributed), Gibbs, Wren and Chambers
A bicycle tour of public libraries and bookshops from Bloomsbury to the East End celebrating the institutions which keep books circulating and the buildings which bring readers and writers together. Over the course of the tour, we’ll see how architects working across a range of building styles express the ideals of their bookish institutions.
residence, hotel, transport, walk/tour
Former Midland Grand Hotel, now St Pancras Renaissance Hotel and Chambers apartments. Includes hotel lobby and clock tower.
Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1868
Drop in / Guided tour
event, walk/tour, gallery, art studio, museum, community/cultural
A great little museum set in the Grade 2 listed Ossulston Estate - a prime example of pre-war Social housing - based on Karl Marz Hof in Vienna. Open Wednesdays to Saturdays throughout Festival Sunday 11th Event
G Topham Forest, 1927
The EES is a charity supporting and promoting Egyptian cultural heritage located in 3-4 Doughty Mews. We propose an Open Day on Saturday 9th September with collections tours and an exhibition of the history and archaeology of the building.
education, community/cultural, library, online
London’s tallest secular building when it opened as the HQ of the University of London and home to the Ministry of Information during WWII, this Grade II* listed landmark features Classicism and Art Deco elements.
Charles Holden, 1933
Drop in / Guided tour
institution/profession, gallery, health
Grade II* listed building. Restored in 2012 to showcase magnificent Edwardian faience tile work, mosaic floor and other historic features in transformed modern surroundings that now provide the headquarters of the RCGP.
Arthur Beresford Pite, 1908
Back to top of page