Duncan Cardow of T.P.Bennett (1985) and John McVicar Anderson (1882), 1985
London Scottish House, 95 Horseferry Road, Westminster, SW1P 2DX
A Grade 2 listed former Territorial Army Drill Hall featuring restored elements of the original 1882 design. It has a triple height central hall with the restored wrought iron balconies and roofing. Notable Neo-Georgian design brickwork.
St. James's Park, Pimlico, Westminster
The London Scottish Regiment was founded in 1859, drawn from the Scottish diaspora in London. The original drill hall was finished in 1886 at 59 Buckingham Gate to a design by the Scottish architect John MacVicar Anderson. Having suffered a century of use and war time damage during the blitz, the decision was made to re-build in a new location, close to the original, but retaining many of the architectural features of the old building, such as the three War Memorials, the original Portico and the late-Victorian wrought iron balconies and roof.
The current building was completed in 1988 and granted Grade 2 listed status by English Heritage in 2021.
The building was designed to be a a territorial army drill hall and the home of the London Scottish Regiment. It has the central drill hall, dining rooms, bars and it still houses the London Scottish Regimental Museum displays on the balconies. After the Army Reserve unit moved locations in 2017 the building use has evolved to a mix of office rental, hospitality, conference and meeting space and the Regimental Museum.
London Scottish Drill Hall: Built to designs by Duncan Cardow of T.P.Bennett for the London Scottish Regiment to rpelace their original drill hall at 59 Buckingham Gate and incorporating elements from that buildingwhoich was built between 1882 and 1886 by John MacVicar Anderson.
Reasons for Designation:
- Architectural interest:
*for the innovative late-Victorian wrought iron roof structures and galleries restored from the original drill hall.
*for its exteriors in a neo-Georgian style which references traditional drill hall design but with subtle use of post-modern elements to enliven the elevations.
*for the high quality of the brickwork
*for the three restored war memorials which are all of high-quality design and materials.
*for the involvement of notable late C19th and C20th architectural practices,
Historical Interest: For its associations as the former Headquarters of the London Scottish Regiment, a Volunteer unit with a distinguished history, formed in 1859, with close links to Westminster.
Victor Keegan, author of two acclaimed books on Lost London, asks how the streets around the Thorney Island Society Archives in Old Pye Street could have been so lawless and deprived, so close to Westminster Abbey and Parliament.
concert/performance space, religious
A rare example of Thomas Archer's work and a masterpiece of English Baroque, originally dubbed Queen Anne's Footstool. A Grade I listed building, restored by Marshall Sisson after extensive bombing damage, now a busy concert hall.
Thomas Archer, 1714
The International Maritime Organization is a specialized agency of the UN, responsible for the safety and security of shipping and the prevention of marine pollution by ships. It is the only UN organization with headquarters in London.
Douglass Marriott Worby & Robinson, 1983
Drop in / Guided tour
Open Day: LFB's grade II listed Memorial Hall, part of the LFB's Headquarters, opened in 1937. The hall is rarely seen by the public & contains stunning large memorials by Gilbert Bayes commemorating firefighters lost protecting London.
Some aspects by Gilbert Bayes, 1937
Back to top of page