Middle Temple, Middle Temple Lane, London EC4Y 6BT, EC4Y 9BT
We will be opening the Hall and Library of the Middle Temple on the 17 September between 12 and 4pm for tours.
Middle Temple Hall and Library will be open on Sunday 17 September between 12 and 4pm for visitors to view the historic building, Library and gardens. we will be displaying some of our treasures from the archives, historic pieces and silver The library will be open and visitors will have the opportunity to view the rare pair of Molyneux Globes.
Middle Temple hall dates back to 1574, was visited by Queen Elizabeth I and hosted the first performance of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.
In 2023, the Inn celebrates 450 years since the construction of our Hall. While the Hall has been updated, beautified, repaired and restored over the centuries, weathering fires and bombing raids along the way, it is a living building which continues to serve the functions for which it was built, and remains at the heart of our collegiate life, educational activity and cultural enrichment.
On display will be an exhibition charting the Hall through the years alongside rare pieces from our archive. The elaborately carved screen is an exuberant riot of classical detail and embellishment, is thought to have been the work of Protestant Huguenot refugees from continental Europe.
The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple is one of four Inns of Court exclusively entitled to Call their members to the Bar of England and Wales, and is proud to provide support, education and accommodation to barristers at every stage of their careers.
Middle Temple Library holds approximately 30,000 legal titles in 250,000 volumes, including legislation, case law, textbooks, student manuals, loose-leaf publications, journals and law reports.
The Library collects legal texts in certain specialist subject areas such as banking, commercial law and arbitration, competition, employment, insurance, professional negligence and shipping, amongst others.
The Rare Book & Manuscript Collection contains over 9,000 early printed books and approximately 300 manuscripts. The collection reflects the educational and personal interests of barristers spanning the thirteenth to nineteenth centuries. The collection contains significant early legal texts as well as a wide range of non-legal subjects, including history, poetry, travel, medicine, theology and science.
The first printed catalogue of the collection was produced in 1700, and since then the collections have been augmented significantly.
Additionally the Library is home to the remaining pair of Molyneux Globes which will be on display for visitors to see.
Completed in 1895, Two Temple Place is a dazzling neo-Gothic gem on the Victoria Embankment, designed by gothic revivalist architect, John Loughborough Pearson, & commissioned by & built for William Waldorf Astor, as his estate office.
John Loughborough Pearson , 1895
Prince Henry’s Room is located at 17 Fleet Street, one of the few buildings in the city that survived the 1666 London Great Fire. The room, on the first floor contains one of the best-preserved Jacobian-enriched plaster ceilings in London.
Architect unknown, 1610
This sensory walk explores the art of moving mindfully through urban space – focusing on the rhymes, rhythm, volumes, and voids that normally flow past unnoticed. We begin in Inner Temple and wander west to Somerset House, through Trafalgar Square, ending at the Royal Academy.
scientific, monument, walk/tour, art in the public realm
This new sundial faces East so gets only morning sun. It is 10 m. square and was opened in 2021, and is publicly accessible 24/7
Piers Nicholson, 2021
The creation of new public realm along Strand, south of Aldwych, has been described as the one of the best things to happen to London in years. It is an exemplar of what's possible when road space is reclaimed for people and for nature.
LDA Design - Landscape Architect, 2022
institution/profession, theatre, library, education, community/cultural
Built in 1893 as a printers' institute in the Anglo-Dutch style, with sandstone dressings, steeply pitched tiled roof and gables; many original features remain including the swimming pool and library reading room.
Robert C. Murray, 1893
Back to top of page