Open House Festival

Theatre Royal Stratford East


JG Buckle, Frank Matcham, 1884

Gerry Raffles Square, E15 1BN

Grade II* listed. Built as a playhouse and entertaining audiences for over 100 years. An original Victorian auditorium with beautiful Frank Matcham interior with state-of the-art backstage and front of house facilities.

Getting there




Stratford International


25, 108, 69




History of Theatre Royal Stratford East

Stratford East is a producing theatre, built in 1884, in the heart of East London, situated a short walk from Stratford station. We have a proud history and an exciting future. We represent our culturally and socially diverse community in the work we make, the people we employ and our audiences and participants. We tell stories that are current, political and representative of London.

From 1953 – 1979 the theatre was the home of Joan Littlewood’s legendary Theatre Workshop Company. The Company received international recognition with their acclaimed productions such as Oh, What a Lovely War! and A Taste of Honey. Many leading actors, writers and directors have been part of the Theatre Royal Stratford East family including Meera Syal, Barbara Windsor, Don Warrington, Sheila Hancock, Indhu Rubasingham, Tanika Gupta, Roy Williams and Cynthia Erivo.

Under Nadia Fall’s artistic direction, we present a bold programme of reimagined classics, timely revivals and ground-breaking new work. Nadia’s first season included a revival of Equus, which received seven 5 star reviews and a West End transfer, Sir Lenny Henry starred in a critically acclaimed and powerful rendition of August Wilson’s King Hedley II, and we engaged over 300 young people in a large scale production of Benjamin Britten’s Noye's Fludde in collaboration with English National Opera.

Online presence


Back to top of page