Richard Gough, 1690
17 Gough Square, EC4A 3DE
Fine example of an early 5-floor Queen Anne town house with original panelling, open staircase and unique 'swinging panels' on the open-plan first floor. Johnson compiled his famous 'Dictionary of the English Language' (1755) here.
Blackfriars, City Thameslink
11, 15, 26, 76, 341, 63, 40
Dr Johnson’s House is a fine example of a Queen Anne townhouse in the City of London. The five-storey historic house is Grade I listed. The exact date of construction is unknown but it was completed by the end of the seventeenth century.
The house was built by a wool merchant, Richard Gough, whom the Square is named after. The House’s most famous tenant was Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) who lived in the house for about 11 years (c.1748 to 1759). Johnson compiled his monumental 'Dictionary of the English Language in the Garret' at the top of the house.
Following Johnson’s residence, the house became a small hotel/lodging house and was even used as a printers’ workshop in the nineteenth century. By 1911, however, it had fallen into a sad state of disrepair and was due for demolition. At this point Cecil Harmsworth MP stepped in to save the House: he bought it; restored it and opened it to the public. Remarkably many early features remain in the interior, despite its chequered past. Gough Square was largely destroyed during the Blitz, but this building survived, amazingly. You can see repairs to the roof, which burnt out, though the vast majority of the building's interior and exterior remained unharmed, remarkably. The restoration was overseen by architect Alfred Burr. The small dwelling next door was built by Burr for the house’s curator to live in – a purpose it still fulfils today.
The house has a red brick façade with rubbed brick window surrounds and platbands. You can see the change in brickwork at the top, where a new roof had to be constructed following wartime damage. Between two ground floor windows on the main façade, the house has the first example of a Royal Society of Arts terracotta plaque (installed in 1898) commemorating Samuel Johnson’s residence here.
Key points of architectural and historical merit and interest:
- The fine front door (c.1775) complete with anti- burglary devices: a large chain with corkscrew latch, a spiked bar across the fanlight window and two large bolts
- The curious hinged panels on the first floor which could be used to subdivide the room forming a central landing and two side rooms. Today they are positioned ‘open plan’, with an alcove behind
- Early wooden panelling on the ground, first and second floors and many original floorboards
- The open staircase that stretches through the four floors of the House, with original banister, and original balusters in the uppermost flight
- Two long thin log cupboards next to the fireplaces in the Withdrawing Room (1st floor) and the Garret (behind the Dictionary display case)
- Powder closet in the Parlour (ground floor) where Johnson would have stored his wigs
- The ‘cellarette’ cupboard in the Dining Room (today the shop/reception) which would have been used to store expensive food and drink under lock and key
scientific, monument, walk/tour, art in the public realm
This new sundial faces East so gets only morning sun. It is 10 m. square and was opened in 2021, and is publicly accessible 24/7
Piers Nicholson, 2021
Prince Henry’s Room is located at 17 Fleet Street, one of the few buildings in the city that survived the 1666 London Great Fire. The room, on the first floor contains one of the best-preserved Jacobian-enriched plaster ceilings in London.
Architect unknown, 1610
This sensory walk explores the art of moving mindfully through urban space – focusing on the rhymes, rhythm, volumes, and voids that normally flow past unnoticed. We begin in Inner Temple and wander west to Somerset House, through Trafalgar Square, ending at the Royal Academy.
institution/profession, theatre, library, education, community/cultural
Built in 1893 as a printers' institute in the Anglo-Dutch style, with sandstone dressings, steeply pitched tiled roof and gables; many original features remain including the swimming pool and library reading room.
Robert C. Murray, 1893
Join me on a walk through the architecture of entertainment and mass communication, exploring the stories behind a diverse range of iconic buildings and their role in asserting London's status as a globally connected, cultural powerhouse.
library, garden, education, legal, institution/profession, mixed use
Lincoln’s Inn has been an association of barristers for over 600 years. An 11-acre site combining gardens with mediaeval, Victorian, Georgian, and modern buildings, including banqueting halls, a law library, a chapel, and teaching space.
Back to top of page